Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

83120100400

Moon is bright...in my East Window in the Library.
I am reminded of other nights...the Hill, at Karen Switch.
Summer night...3am...couldn't sleep...out the window I go...Waxing Gibbous Moon in the West...and far off, to the Southwest,3 large Thunderheads...probably over Katy, or the seaward reaches of the Brazos.
Silent lightning playing in their upper folds, lit by the Moon...reds and greens from the discharges in their innards...
I sat at the Hill, for a couple of hours, watching them drift South, farther away...towards the distant Gulf.
A Silent Enless Night....Time crawled...the fields and woods lit by the Moon, like a shadow of Day...
the Trail leading down the Hill...dappled Moonlight...Whipporwills in the dark woods down by the tracks...other birds, rustling overhead in the Dogwoods at my passage...watching those distant storms....the Feeling...has never left me...
a Longing...

Much later...another night.
P and I living in the two trailers...the Technicolor Motor Home...in the Woods beneath the Hill...
Big Party...Beer and Wine and Rum and Acid...
Told 5 people...and 25 show up...Burned an old couch...Fire lighting the high Pine branches...I shocked the Tripping Crowd by producing a water hose from the tall grass to mitigate the fire...
Later, when the crowd had thinned to the most intrepid Trippers....we piled in the truck...and went to Nanduhirion...the 1000 acre deer lease behind Presley's.
Old Logging Roads went in a grand circle through the Deep Woods...we mustered at the Other Hill...the Highest Point in all the Neighborhood.
I kindled a campfire...wine coolers and beer and the Acid still raging...
And City Folk, not accustomed to Woods...
We resolve to find the Pond...a glorified mudhole, with a small spring...100 yards off the Main Logging Road.
Off we go, me in the lead....we get near the place where the Trail to the Pond should be...but I am on Acid, in the Moonlight...no flashlight...and cannot find it.
I decide, without informing the rest, that the Pond is Unfindable...as much as I wanted to get the girls naked in the water....
and that we would make the circuit...the 2 mile Road, looping through the Woods.
(I had let the fire burn down,btw)
So they all follow me....
Hour into our Trek...Chris,one of my roomates, who is there with her girl Billie...exlaims:"Where in hell are we...and why are we following Joe?"
We were on the far side of the loop...equidistant...
I said as much...
That we can go on, or go back...
We went on...12 Acid Heads following me into the Deep Woods...
Me, the only one who knew where we were, or how to get out...Chaaker comes up...the only one to express Trust in my Leadership...and remarks how Hilarious it is that all these folks had followed Me!
We finally made it to Camp...I got the fire back bright...and folks, the Acid starting to wane, lay around and pseudo crashed, till Dawn began to break...
As we were leaving, walking down the Logging Road back to my truck...Redneck Hunters were coming towards us...to get ready for Deer Season...They were not happy to see a Collection of Hippies and other Young Freaks, Bleary Eyed and Dirty...coming out of "Their" Woods....

No comments: