Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Heat and Homogeny



The day fast approaches, when “School Shopping” must be undertaken.
I , as usual, want to go…to get out of the house/town…perhaps to go among the herd…
But mostly, because I dread when my Bunch is far away.
50 mile radius, is only various iterations of walmart, and beall’s…
However, Wife must go to San Angelo, for training…
They have a Target…lol…
At least it’s something different.
Wife sees “Shopping” as an Activity…like Golf.
I am unpopular on these trips, because I am an inveterate Utilitarian,
with regards to “Shopping”.
I have my List…and flow through the store(usually the grocery store), with speed and precision….
Which is, apparently, No Fun, at all.
I’m willing to compromise, of course. (within certain limits, set by Bones)
I have no problem sitting somewhere…like the truck…reading, while they finish the more tedious portions of the Activity of “Shopping”…
But everywhere there are acres of white concrete,
Baking in the Sun.
What trees there were, were shorn to make room for the concrete.
What passes for the Patios(America’s answer to Sidewalk Cafes), of the sundry eating establishments,
are adjacent to the Broiling Plains of Parking…
A large Umbrella on the table, cannot compete.
I like to smoke with my coffee, iced tea, and books…
There are no air conditioned spaces where this is allowed, any longer,
in the Land of the Free….
Perhaps, I will do some research…
There’s a river (the Concho) right through downtown…
Surely there’s a place to sit there…under a tree…

No comments: